Knitting is the answer when all else fails

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Three Tone Scarf

Just finished knitting and blocking my 3-tone scarf. This is my own design using the feather and fan stitch, and 3 different colors of a wool/linen blend yarn. The two dark colors are close in value, but one is darker than the other, and by using one light yarn it makes the scarf more interesting. This is a really long scarf, about 80" in length, so you can wear it many different ways. I am making a second two-tone scarf and will share that when I am finished with it. It's quite fun to experiment with color and see what you get. I just purchased Laura Bryant's DVD "A Knitter's Guide to Color." It's a great video that helps you understand how color works both for emphasizing pattern or color. She shows some scarves that have interesting color play.
The Feather and Fan stitch is as follows:
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: *(K2 tog) 3 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, (K2 tog) 3 times; repeat from*
Row4: Knit
The feather and fan stitch is a multiple of 18 stitches. I started my scarf with 3 rows of garter stitch (knit every row), and ended with 3 rows of garter stitch. I added 4 stitches at the beginning and end of each row for a garter stitch edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment