Knitting is the answer when all else fails

Friday, January 4, 2013

Center Front Cable Sweater

Here is my latest project, an incredibly fun sweater to knit using bulky yarn. This sweater has a simple cable down the front center and raglan style sleeves so it knits up in one piece from the neck down. Sleeve stitches are picked up later and knit in the round down to the cuff. Sleeves are slightly belled. As you can see this sweater is still in progress. I am almost finished with one sleeve, and then one more to go. The pattern is available on www.ravelry.com. The pattern is titled, "Top Down Biggo Sweater," by Amanda Lilley.
I chose "Borroco Vintage" Bulky weight yarn. It looks like this sweater will take about 7 hanks. I purchased 8 just in case. I started knitting this sweater over the Christmas Holiday, I should have it finished by tomorrow. I tried it on, and it fits like a glove. I am very happy with this pattern and my yarn choice. Borroco Vintage yarn has about 40% wool which keeps you warm, 52% acrylic which makes it machine washable in cold water, and 8% nylon which gives a good strength to the yarn. This will be one of those "go-to" sweaters when it's really cold out, since it has this generous turtleneck. I would like to make another one of these sweaters and eliminate the turtleneck, instead I can make a detachable cowl scarf to go with, when I need more protection from those cold days and nights. Click on photo to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment