Knitting is the answer when all else fails

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Felted Bag

I purchased this wool sweater from the thrift store at half price (yeah!) and I'm repurposing it. From this sweater I can make two items from the sleeves and one from the body. I have made this little felted bag from one of the sleeves. I just cut off the sleeve to accommodate the size of a small bag or purse, whipped stitched the bottom closed, turned under the upper rim and whipped stitch that in place, and then made a 6-stitch I-cord for the handle and sewn in place. I then put it in my washing machine with a towel to serve as friction, and Waugh-lauh!... my little bag came out perfectly felted. This little bag can be a small purse, I would probably stitch a cute button on the front and sew on a button loop for closure, or as you see you can use it to put a little greenery in. I am planning on making a felted pillow out of the body of the sweater, so I better get moving sense I am in a felting mood today.

No comments:

Post a Comment